[ppml] IPv6 Assignment Guidelines, Straw Man #2

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Mon Aug 20 11:45:50 EDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 04:36:36PM +0100, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> > ] LIR's may assign up to a /48 to an End Site.  End Sites
> > requiring ] more address space than a /48 may be assigned a
> > larger block provided ] the utilization inside that block
> > meets an HD Ratio of 0.94.
>
> I object to this use of the HD Ratio.

The HD ratio is the only useful efficiency metric we've come up with,
as near as I can tell.  If an ISP isn't tracking this and is hopelessly
inefficient, they'll need to figure it out before asking for more
space.  I suppose it's possible they just are efficient without
tracking their HD ratio, but it seems more likely that an ISP would
track this metric in their own best interest.

Using a common metric as a method of insuring reasonable efficiency
doesn't strike me as burdensome.  Giving out a /48 by default, and then
permitting larger space based on expected utilization (and measuring
that via the HD ratio) seems entirely reasonable.

I'm for this part of it, at least.

-David