[ppml] IPv6 Assignment Guidelines, Straw Man #2

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Aug 20 11:36:36 EDT 2007

> ] LIR's may assign up to a /48 to an End Site.  End Sites
> requiring ] more address space than a /48 may be assigned a
> larger block provided ] the utilization inside that block
> meets an HD Ratio of 0.94.

I object to this use of the HD Ratio. Unless ARIN policy is changed to
require all ISPs to regularly report their IPv6 utilization and current
HD ratio, then I think ARIN should not require ISPs to "meet" an HD
Ratio. Many ISPs will be getting an IPv6 allocation with the expectation
that they will never come back for another allocation, or at least not
for many years. In that time, the HD Ratio requirement could well be
removed or changed. It is a burden to require ISPs to track that HD
Ratio. If ARIN wishes to impose the burden it must be done openly and
explicitly, not tacked on to another policy change.

> ] The existing section 6.5.4.1 does not provide clear
> guidance on how ] large of a prefix to allocate to a site.
> This makes it difficult ] for LIR's to know they are in
> compliance with the rules, and makes ] it harder for ARIN
> staff to evaluate requests per the communities ] wishes.

The existing language should really refer to RFC 3177 and then point out
that we have an additional size of assignment (/56) which replaces the
existing statement:

   Home network subscribers, connecting through on-demand or
   always-on connections should receive a /48.

With this:

   Home network subscribers, connecting through on-demand or
   always-on connections should receive a /56.

-- Michael Dillon