[ppml] IPv6 Assignment Guidelines, Straw Man #2

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Aug 20 10:43:09 EDT 2007

In a message written on Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 11:15:39AM +0100, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> If clearer guidance is needed, then we could simply add language such
> as:
>
> /56 for small sites such as consumer subscribers and private homes which
> are expected to need only a few subnets over the next 5 years.

The feedback is pretty clear, and so I'd like to offer up a straw
man for a potentially better proposal.  It's quite clear people
want a simple rule, and want a /48 to be allowed.

For reference, the existing policy is at
http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six54

Looking at the comments and considering the section following as
well (6.5.4.2) I've combined them both into a single policy.  While
I find it unlikely ISP's will have customers wanting more than a
/48 of PA space, the current policy states that such cases will be
reviewed by the RIR without giving any criteria for how they should
be reviewed, leaving both staff and the ISP with no guidance.  Should
such a larger block be needed it seemed logical to me to apply the
same criteria as if the End Site came to ARIN for their own PI or
PA block.

]    7. Policy statement:
]
] Delete the text in 6.5.4.2 and Replace the text in section 6.5.4.1
] with the following text:
]
] LIR's may assign up to a /48 to an End Site.  End Sites requiring
] more address space than a /48 may be assigned a larger block provided
] the utilization inside that block meets an HD Ratio of 0.94.
]
]    8. Rationale:
]
] The existing section 6.5.4.1 does not provide clear guidance on how
] large of a prefix to allocate to a site.  This makes it difficult
] for LIR's to know they are in compliance with the rules, and makes
] it harder for ARIN staff to evaluate requests per the communities
] wishes.

Would this straw man proposal get more support?  Does it provide
clearer guidance?