[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Aug 20 06:15:39 EDT 2007

> Policy Proposal Name: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines

> LIR's may assign blocks in the range of /48 to /64 to end sites.
> All assignments made by LIR's should meet a minimum HD-Ratio of .25.

I am opposed to tinkering with the IPv6 HD ratio at this point. The IPv6
HD ratio exists to deal with the case where an LIR returns to ARIN for
their SECOND allocation. Because there is so little IPv6 deployment at
present, I do not believe we have the data necessary to assess whether
or not this is a problem which needs to be addressed.

> * /64 - Site needing only a single subnet.
> * /60 - Site with 2-3 subnets initially.
> * /56 - Site with 4-7 subnets initially.
> * /52 - Site with 8-15 subnets initially.
> * /48 - Site with 16+ subnets initially.

I oppose making the IPv6 assignment process more complex than it already
is. We introduced the /56 to deal with a well-defined risk that MIGHT
arise in the future. There is no evidence that the current regime will
lead to IPv6 runout in our lifetimes.

In addition, this proposal applies IPv4 thinking to IPv6. In general
this is a bad thing because it delays the education process which ARIN
is supposed to be supporting.

> LIR's do not need to issue all 5 sizes of prefixes as long as
> the HD-Ratio requirement is met.

Making IPv6 ISP's lives complicated is not an appropriate action for
ARIN at present considering the impending runout of IPv4 addresses.

If clearer guidance is needed, then we could simply add language such
as:

/56 for small sites such as consumer subscribers and private homes which
are expected to need only a few subnets over the next 5 years.

--Michael Dillon