[ppml] IPv6 Assignment Guidelines, Straw Man #2

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Aug 20 14:18:06 EDT 2007

> The HD ratio is the only useful efficiency metric we've come
> up with, as near as I can tell.  If an ISP isn't tracking
> this and is hopelessly inefficient, they'll need to figure it
> out before asking for more space.

IPv6 ISPs don't need to be particularly efficient in
assigning/allocating IPv6 subnets and most of them will never need to
ask for more space.

> Using a common metric as a method of insuring reasonable
> efficiency doesn't strike me as burdensome.

Since when is efficiency a goal in IPv6. I always thought that IPv6 was
designed so that efficiency was no longer an issue. Instead, IPv6
enables network designers to build their networks the way they want to
without worrying about wasting IP addresses.

IPv6 is not IPv4 with more bits.

--Michael Dillon