[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy, holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Aug 3 14:41:15 EDT 2007

I would NOT support any such activity unless ARIN -ALSO- stated that
the Legacy holder MUST INDICATE IF THEY WANT TO CONTINUE TO RETAIN
the space.

Sending a letter out is not good enough.  Odds are that a LOT of the legacy
space is held by organizations that have no idea they have it, certainly
aren't using it, and have no way of using it even if they wanted to do so.

The SOP in cases like these are when the network manager gets this letter
that they have no idea what in the hell is being discussed, they will toss
it in the garbage.

ARIN must not assume that FAILURE TO RESPOND to a letter is an indication
that the Legacy holder still wants to retain their assignment.  Personally
my own preference would be that failure to respond means the legacy
holder DOES NOT WANT to retain the assignment - but I know the community
wouldn't stand for that.

ONLY a RESPONSE in the negative can be taken as the legacy holder wants
to continue holding on to their assignment.

A lack of response needs to be taken as:  "Status unknown, try again later"

(Refer to your neighborhood Magic 8 Ball for the usual phrasing ;-)

I would hope ARIN would take lack of response as an opportunity to followup
with a phone call, at least for the larger assignments.

Ted