[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy, holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Aug 2 18:09:33 EDT 2007

Thus spake "David Conrad" <drc at virtualized.org>
> I guess I'm skeptical that those holders of the "legacy" O(100) /8s
> will voluntarily return their unused address space to ARIN (or other
> appropriate RIR) out of "enlightened self-interest".

Stanford voluntarily returned 36/8, so it's not impossible.  It appears
46/8, 49/8, and 50/8 were returned as well.

> As such, those holders of the "legacy" O(100) /8s will need to
> be incented to renumber and/or part with "their" address space.
> How do you think  that can realistically be done?

Carrots are good.  However, I'd like to first see ARIN politely ask legacy
holders to voluntarily return any unused space (and/or sign an RSA), plus
reclaim abandoned space, before we enact any carrot policies -- and
certainly before we start discussing sticks

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov