[ppml] FYI - CSM Article on IPv4 address shortage

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 22:30:34 EDT 2007

On 8/2/07, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

> http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0803/p02s01-ussc.html
>
> Very readable for the general public (and obviously tamer
> than the PPML equivalent :-)
> /John

Yes, however, I would say the article leaves something desired when it comes
the technical details...

"Addresses under the current standard, known as IPv4, are made up of four
integers between 0 and 255. That allows for roughly 4.3 billion addresses –
not enough to keep pace with expanding Internet access in India and China as
well as the variety of devices going online.

Newer IPv6 addresses are made up of six integers instead of four, allowing
trillions of trillions of new addresses."

Last I checked, IPv6 addresses were 128-bit not 48-bit, the article should
say 16 octets or
"numbers", not 6.

[With just 6 octets, the extra addresses might be exhausted in 50 years.]

--
-J