[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy, holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

Cliff Bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Fri Aug 3 08:38:28 EDT 2007

Howard, W. Lee wrote:
> [...]
I have mixed feelings.  In general, good stewardship would make you want
to have it turned in and reissued appropriately.  As a /24, I worry that
if we get enough deaggregation, the routing tables will get big enough
that I might get lost.  I'm not a technical routing wizard but I keep
reading about the tables getting too big in spite of the sales droid
promises and people filtering above /24s and I'd like to not get lost.
If people really believe that /24s won't get lost, convince the /8
owners to turn them in.  I think if all the remaining space became /24s
we'd be in routing table trouble and if they stayed much bigger, we'd
probably be safe.  Where is that breakpoint and where will it be in 2, 3
or 5 years?  I know that in theory, ARIN shouldn't care about routing
but if they just give out addresses that thhey know can't get routed,
that can't be considered good stewardship

The other problem is that some of the legacy /8s are going to start
looking at addresses as major assets and could easily become a major ISP
overnight and as I stated, I'm not sure what recourse ARIN/IANA has to
recover any part of the /8.  In spite of the statements here that
addresses are not property, I certainly felt that my /24 was granted
with no conditions regarding my use or disposal of it.  A legal
challenge to a legacy /8s ability to become this overnight super ISP
would be a crap shoot at best.

Cliff