[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use))

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Wed Aug 1 13:29:11 EDT 2007

At 9:39 AM -0700 8/1/07, David Conrad wrote:
>Desirable?  Not particularly (as I've mentioned in the past).
>Inevitable?  Yeah, pretty much.

If everyone throws up their hands, then it could indeed be inevitable.
(Of course, that's a great sign off community consensus, so I've got
no problem with that outcome)

If folks (read: ICANN/IANA/RIR/IETF/ISPs) want to prevent a market,
it's not that hard to do.

>>The rub is
>>that some of us see those same pressures, in presence of said "market"
>>and due to the extensively referenced Prinsoner's Dilemma wr.t. routing
>>behavior, yielding an explosive situation which doesn't have an obvious
>>equilibrium point.
>
>Well, yeah.  And all those neat sandcastles we've built since 1996 are going to be destroyed when the tide comes in.
>
>I'm curious.  How are you going to stop the tide from coming in?
>Closing your eyes and saying "I don't like it because it'll be bad" probably won't do the trick...

Which tide?   As noted above, there's quite a bit that could be done
if one wanted to deter (or accelerate!) emergence of a market, once
we know the desired outcome.

If you're talking about how to prevent self-immolation of the ISP
community when they attempt to keep up routing tables that go
from approximately hierarchical to significantly non-hierarchical,
I really don't know.  The cool part about that problem is that by
the time its a perfectly obvious problem to everyone involved,
there actually may be no way to undo the situation from within.

/John