[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

Brian Wallingford brian at meganet.net
Wed Aug 1 00:55:42 EDT 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, David Conrad wrote:

:John,
:
:On Jul 31, 2007, at 8:38 PM, John Curran wrote:
:> The burn rate is between 10 to 15 /8's per annum, increasing,
:> and while you'll see some pieces of the legacy space show up,
:> the extractable and reusable space will burn off under that
:> demand in a few short years.
:
:So you do not believe that under pricing pressure, people will be
:more efficient in address space usage thereby reducing the
:consumption rate?  This seems counter intuitive to me.  I once had 6
:static IP addresses for my home.  I reverted to one dynamic IP
:address + NAT exclusively because it was cheaper.  Perhaps I'm overly
:price sensitive.

Absolutely they will.

Long story short, every salesperson we've ever hired (and we still have
the same salesfolks we hired in '96-'97) was required to do front-level
tech support for three months before getting their sales seat. In the
interim, they were taught routing-101, dns-101, email-101, etc., and they
were educated as to what "justified" means when a prospective customer
blindly requests a "class C" or anything more than a /29, and how NATing
can satisfy many requirements.

End result is that the *vast* majority of our T1/T3 customers (much like
our static dsl customers, oddly enough) use either a /30 or /29.

It's not that difficult to make the most of resources at hand.  Years
ago, I could have easily requested and been allocated much more than I
have now.

-brian (formerly the "ip nazi" in-house)