[ppml] the "other" policy proposals

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Apr 10 05:20:57 EDT 2007

> In considering adding support for more solutions, I'd urge some
> restraint; ensuring that the new solution meets needs that can't
> reasonably be met by existing solutions.  (To be clear, I'm not
> suggesting these proposals don't meet such needs.)  The risk is that
> each solution added becomes one more solution whose removal "will be
> considerably more controversial" (from Bill Woodcock's
> message) at some
> point in the future, compounding the support effort required
> by the ARIN
> staff.

Another good reason for removing these details entirely from the
policies. That way, if ARIN staff determine that a mechanism is
unpopular, they can simply stop doing it. With signoff from the BoT of
course.

Do you recall the long and protracted discussion about the design of the
new templates?

Of course you don't because ARIN staff just did it.

--Michael Dillon