[ppml] My view on IPv4 (was: Re: IPv4 wind-down)

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Apr 3 16:54:04 EDT 2007

> Have you ever used googles "translate this page" option?
>
> Or http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Yes. They are both difficult to use unless you actually have a basic to
intermediate level of proficiency with the foreign language. I used
http://translation1.paralink.com a lot when I was learning Russian, but
it was most effective when I read the Russian text a SECOND time, after
reading the confused machine translation. In other words the machine
translation which was incomprehensible to a unilingual English speaker,
gave me enough verb and noun translations to help my mind sort out the
original sentence.

> ?????????? connectivity ???????? ??????, ?? ?? ??????? ???? ?????.
>
> (Global connectivity is slowed by language, but those
> barriers are going away.)

Not quite. Somewhere along the path, your UNICODE (or other codeset) got
translated to ASCII question marks. I would guess that you wrote in
Russian because I see the same problem in a lot of MP3 tags.

Here is an interesting experiment for most of you. Go to
http://www.satka.ru and have a look around the site. How many of you
would have a problem if this whole town was inaccessible from the USA if
they decided to "borrow" some Earthlink IP addresses?

--Michael Dillon