[ppml] My view on IPv4 (was: Re: IPv4 wind-down)

Luke S. Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Tue Apr 3 17:08:57 EDT 2007

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> Here is an interesting experiment for most of you. Go to
> http://www.satka.ru and have a look around the site. How many of you
> would have a problem if this whole town was inaccessible from the USA if
> they decided to "borrow" some Earthlink IP addresses?

As I said before in a private e-mail (in a failed attempt to reduce noise)
even assuming the pesants don't need out-of-country connectivity,  if the
russian "tier-1" internet needs to talk to both the russian-only web and
the whole internet, implementation of this "ip block theft" would be
excessively difficult without NAT, and with NAT, it's not really IP block
theft, as NAT will translate the IP addresses to something globaly
routable.