[ppml] ARIN member in good standing?

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Fri Sep 29 10:43:37 EDT 2006

On Sep 29, 2006, at 9:48 AM, Peter Sherbin wrote:

>> You would bill the packet originator, not the destination?
>
> Yes, the originator of the packet pays to a transport provider

I won't burden PPML with any more on this topic (happy to elsewhere
if there is interest), but I think you should remember that this
arrangement ceased to be viable even in the switched telecom world c.
early 1990s, as soon as it became possible to extend infrastructure
and/or contractual arrangements across billing zones and so change
the identification of "originator". Only way to counter that is to
switch from a settlement-based to (flat) interconnection-based model
(prob the more common adaptation strategy over the last decade), or
close the borders and aggressively monitor/police all cross-border
traffic (the apparent strategy of choice for the years to come).

TV