[ppml] ARIN member in good standing?

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Thu Sep 28 18:01:03 EDT 2006

 Peter Sherbin >

> The Internet is an electronic version of a global postal
> service. As such it should
> move to a proper financial model where each delivery is paid
> for according to its volume and destination.

That would be an exciting billing system!  Every packet would have to be
logged with source address, destination address, and size.  Another
table
to link IP address to billing address.  You would bill the packet
originator, not the destination?  If the originator is not a customer, I

assume you would bill the peer network who sent the packet to you.  This
implies some significant changes to many network peering relationships,
and you pretty quickly answer the question of which way payment goes.

You imply that the current model is improper, but I only see analogy to
support that implication.  How is your model better than what we have
now?

> Here is a proposed model:
> PI addresses

I don't understand whether you mean every organization should get a
provider-independent address block and a telecommunications license, or
if you mean that only telcos should get PI address space, and everybody
else must accept assignments from telcos.

> RIR invoices every entity with telecommunications licence in
> the region a per sibscriber fee to cover admin expenses
> Regional issuer of telecom licenses determines the fee amount
> as well as makes such
> fee a condition of the license (don't mean to regulate the
> Internet but please share your comments)

I'm not sure where you put large enterprise networks.  Distributed
offices,
multi-homed networks, multi-national presences.  I don't know which
telco
would aggregate them.  Similar questions for cable companies, CLECs,
universities, and governments.

So only telcos would get IP addresses from ARIN?  In the U.S., would the

regional licenser be the state PUC or the FCC?  In your model, that
agency
would annually count the number of Internet users (people, households,
businesses, or hosts?) the telco has, multiply by some fee, and tell
ARIN
how much to invoice.  If ARIN reported the telco for non-payment, the
agency would revoke their license return the addresses to ARIN.

Can you flesh this out a little further?

Lee