[ppml] Metric for rejecting policy proposals: AC candidate question

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Sep 20 18:04:08 EDT 2006

In a message written on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 12:20:06AM -0400, Sam Weiler wrote:
> I'd like to hear from each of the ten AC candidates as to whether they
> agree with that it's appropriate to reject a policy proposal merely
> because there's a "better" path for resolving the matter (rather than,
> for instance, because the matter is "clearly inappropriate" for the
> public policy process).

I think a large component of the AC's job is community education.
It's helping those who are not familiar with the process navigate
through it when necessary.  If the AC can help the proposer find a
better path to resolution I think that makes everyone happy.

I'll also point out that we have a petition process, documented in
http://www.arin.net/policy/irpep.html.  I hope the AC would always
be able to provide a path forward that satisfies the author, but
if not there is a mechanism to allow the author to move a proposal
forward.

	PGP keys at HTTP://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/