[ppml] CIDR support for whois.arin.net / merging whois with rr data?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Sep 14 18:57:43 EDT 2006

The RR is a routing registry.
WHOIS is a contact directory.

The two serve very different purposes and are related only in that
both contain
information about network blocks.  In database parlance, I would say
that they
are two completely different tables linked by a single common key.

This is an oversimplification of the relationship, of course, because
the RR
has ancillary contact information associated with maintainer records.

This was actually proposed at the Montreal meeting and met with fairly
strong opposition.  I think it would be detrimental to the purpose of
the RR
to start populating it automatically.  A network without policy in
the RR is
contrary to the intended purpose of the RR.  A network with incorrect
policy in the RR would be even worse.

Owen