[ppml] CIDR support for whois.arin.net / merging whois with rr data?

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Thu Sep 14 19:06:18 EDT 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Owen DeLong wrote:

> The RR is a routing registry.
> WHOIS is a contact directory.
>
> The two serve very different purposes and are related only in that both
> contain
> information about network blocks.  In database parlance, I would say that
> they are two completely different tables linked by a single common key.

Really, which key would that be? :)

Remember that routes can be smaller or larger then allocated ip blocks
as well as ip routes follow cidr and netblock allocations dont. The
common column is ip block netrange, however there is no 1-1 or many-1
or many-many relationship here and so they can not be said to be linked
by common keys in the database terms.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks