[ppml] Address Space versus Routing Slots

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 2 15:14:04 EDT 2006

>> Owen DeLong wrote:
>> Sure. In the long run, a modified BGP or new routing protocol will
>> be required.  However, in the short run, I think we can use existing
>> BGP in concert with a scalable solution which will buy time to do
>> the changes to the routing protocol for later optimization.
>
> I wrote the following text 4 years ago, still is on the original page.
>
>> - It is not out of scope to discuss long-term solutions that require
>> major undertakings (such as replacing BGP), but the focus should be
>> on extracting out of these solutions the ideas that could be re-used
>> for solutions that have a shorter time-to-market.
>
> Same question as to Jeroen: what makes you think you can deliver a
> short-term solution now? Did you call a BoF to start with? Talked with
> the shim6 people to know how they feel about a 180 degrees turn?

I think a solution is possible.  I don't pretend to have all the answers,
and, no, I don't have the resources to be as active in IETF as I would
like to be, so, I must to some extent leave this part to others.
My management barely understands the value of my participation in ARIN.
They perceive no value whatsoever to IETF participation, unfortunately.

However, I am hoping that by having rational PI policies in place, we
can make it clear to IETF that PI will happen and that a scalable routing
solution must be discussed/developed sooner rather than later.

I have some ideas about how such a solution might be accomplished, but,
they are just ideas. I'll happily share them with anyone who wishes to
listen, and, I have shared them with several people.  However, I do not
know if that will yield any concrete results or not.

All I can do is the best I can do. The alternative is to simply give up,
which, I don't think serves the community at all.

Owen