[ppml] Address Space versus Routing Slots

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Tue May 2 23:53:03 EDT 2006

> Jeroen Massar wrote:
> [MHAP]The companies that need such a solution
> should be pushing and going for it.

These companies have no voice. Companies big enough to push it are
better off with PI and likely eligible for it, why should they shoot
themselves in the foot? PI is simpler and cheaper :-(

>... it is also why I say it might take multiple years,
> it might also take forever.

So, we wait to see if the routing table gets to a million prefixes, and
if it does then if enough people feel enough pain we have another shot
at it. Maybe. Any bright ideas to make it happen faster?

> Owen DeLong wrote:
> All I can do is the best I can do. The alternative is to simply
> give up, which, I don't think serves the community at all.

Please consider another alternative: keep your energy for the day the
ID/LOC battle can be fought successfully.

> Vince Fuller wrote:
> (the best thing that could happen to a router vendor would be a
> return to the replace-the-core-every-2-or-3-years heyday of the 90s)

Vince, you can't deny that preserving the status-quo on BGP is the best
way to insure that it will happen again.

As of touting ID/LOCs as the long-term solution, I have to question the
IETF motives on this one. As the political matters that have discarded
these solutions in the past are mostly unchanged, this sudden interest
in digging them out of the grave looks rather suspicious to me. The
shim6 team has been sent to a suicide mission, I wonder how many
protocol designers are ready to dust off their old ID/LOC stuff to get
slaughtered a second time. Since you have been around the IETF for such
a long time, maybe you have some insight to share about this for the
ARIN community?

Michel.