[ppml] Address Space versus Routing Slots

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue May 2 12:33:46 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 08:01 -0700, Michel Py wrote:
> > Jeroen Massar wrote:
> > The site still have their own globally unique address space (the
> > IPv6 PI they most likely can soon get from ARIN). Their upstreams
> > are providing them with each a chunk out of their PA space.
> > ....[snap].... translating the destination to the PA prefix of
> > it's choice, which might be influenced by the sending side. On
> > the wire thus the PA space is used, while when the packet crosses
> > the S1/2/R they will be the same as the original.
>
> This is exactly MHAP as I designed it 4 years ago. Nothing new
> technically, what makes you think the IETF is going to adopt it now?

It's indeed the MHAP way of solving the problem and I don't think people
want to actually adopt it at all for various political (read: cashcow)
reasons :( And I certainly am not even going to bother pushing for it as
for me it doesn't hold any value, I am pretty happy with a little chunk
of PA space as an enduser. The companies that need such a solution
should be pushing and going for it.

> > Owen DeLong wrote:
> > Sure. In the long run, a modified BGP or new routing protocol will
> > be required.  However, in the short run, I think we can use existing
> > BGP in concert with a scalable solution which will buy time to do
> > the changes to the routing protocol for later optimization.
>
> I wrote the following text 4 years ago, still is on the original page.
>
> > - It is not out of scope to discuss long-term solutions that require
> > major undertakings (such as replacing BGP), but the focus should be
> > on extracting out of these solutions the ideas that could be re-used
> > for solutions that have a shorter time-to-market.
>
> Same question as to Jeroen: what makes you think you can deliver a
> short-term solution now? Did you call a BoF to start with? Talked with
> the shim6 people to know how they feel about a 180 degrees turn?

It's only the solution I see fit to solve the problem were everybody is
making problem over and I really don't see any chance of it getting
accepted simply because of the political reasons, just like most likely
shim6 will not make at as some folks really don't want to give that kind
of independence to people, just like they are opposed to "PI" in the
first place... it is also why I say it might take multiple years, it
might also take forever.

Greets,
 Jeroen