[ppml] 2005-1 status

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Jan 31 10:20:49 EST 2006

Thus spake <Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com>
>> Think about it: McDonalds would qualify for a /31 (or so) under this
>> proposal, as much or more than most ISPs.  They'd be able to
>> assign a /64 to _every hamburger they sell_, not just the stores.
>> While I'm sure that would be entertaining, is this a reasonable policy
>> direction?
>
> I thought that IPv6 policy already specifies that addresses are to be
> used for Internet infrastructure.  In that case the only way
> Macdonalds could assign an address per hamburger would be to
> embed a network device within the sandwich. I think it is highly
> unlikely that network devices containing poisonous materials would
> ever be embedded within edible products.
>
> So then, where in 2005-01 does it override the existing
> policy and allow assigning addresses for uses other than
> network infrastructure?

Policies say what justifies an assignment of various sizes; AFAIK ARIN has
no way of enforcing how those addresses are used once they're assigned
unless more are requested.  An organization that receives _tens of
thousands_ of times the subnets they need is unlikely to need more later, so
forget controlling what they do with them after that...

The proposal I was responsing to would have justified giving McD's a /31 (or
so) based on the number of street addresses when they probably could barely
justify a /47 of PA space from a LIR.  Numbering their network
infrastructure would make no perceptible dent in 2^33 /64s, hence my jest
about using the rest to number their burgers.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin