[ppml] 2005-1 status

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Jan 25 08:36:24 EST 2006

> Human factor. If renumbering could be done easily enough as was
> for example envisioned with A6, then I think using provider ip
> addresses would be seen as less of a problem.

The lack of renumbering capability in IPv6 does not mean
that renumbering an IPv6 network is either harder or
easier than renumbering an IPv4 network. There is no
agreement on whether or not renumbering capability belongs
in the base IP protocol or not.

Lot's of effort has gone into a separate protocol for
and into tools to support that separate renumbering
protocol. I refer you to the IETF's DHC working group:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/dhc-charter.html

Here is one such DHCPv6 tool: http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/

PI addresses are not the only implemented solution to
the problem of renumbering an enterprise network. If we
decide not to issue PI v6 allocations to end users, we
are not making renumbering harder or easier. It is likely
that well managed v6 networks will be able to easily make
the transition and poorly managed v6 networks will struggle
to make the transition. ARIN policies do not impact whether
or not a network is poorly managed.

However, we do have the option of crafting a policy which
encourages and condones poorly-managed enterprise networks
by allowing end users to receive PI allocations directly
from ARIN.

--Michael Dillon