[ppml] 2005-1 status

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Wed Jan 25 08:40:36 EST 2006

> Bill,
>
> I think we do need to consider alternate routing methods and
> network technologies, but I think that they need to developed
> in the appropriate forum (IETF)  and implemented by the
> appropriate folks (network operators).

Of course.  Routing protocols are no more an ARIN issue than addressing
policy is an IETF issue.
What I ask is...is it likely in the next 15 years to have a scalable routing
protocol that makes the issue of PI addressing of end-sites mute?  25 years?

>I think we need to
> make sure that ARIN policy supports the existing network
> technologies, without inhibiting future innovation.  To that
> end, I think that IPv6 PI space is necessary for the same
> folks that need IPv4 PI space (so they can migrate from IPv4
> to IPv6 with minimal changes to their network), but that
> non-PI multihoming techniques (advertising PA space into BGP,
> using shim6, or any other new multihoming
> method) should be preferred for folks without a compelling
> need for provider independent addresses.  IMO that compelling
> need is directly related to the difficulty of renumbering
> when changing providers, which is large for the types of
> organizations that currently get IPv4 PI space, and small for
> most of the folks who don't.
>
> -Scott

Are there no other compelling reasons to need...desire... PI space?
If it really IS simply renumbering, then