[ppml] 2005-1 status

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Wed Jan 25 10:12:33 EST 2006

On 01/25/06 at 7:40am -0600, Bill Darte <billd at cait.wustl.edu> wrote:

> Of course.  Routing protocols are no more an ARIN issue than addressing
> policy is an IETF issue. What I ask is...is it likely in the next 15
> years to have a scalable routing protocol that makes the issue of PI
> addressing of end-sites mute?  25 years?

Who knows.  I've only been *alive* for 25 years, so I can't exactly
predict that far into the future.  :)

In all seriousness, I think PI space will be needed as long as the
Internet runs BGP.  I have no idea what the drivers will be for moving
beyond BGP, or when that might happen.  It's certainly far enough away to
have little or no bearing on the current policy discussions, though.

> Are there no other compelling reasons to need...desire... PI space?

There may be other reasons related to relative routability of different
classes of IP space, but since ARIN expressly disclaims responsibility for
routability, I'm not sure how germane that is to making policy.  And in
any case, I'm pretty sure NSP IPv6 BGP filtering policies will change
significantly as everyone transitions from IPv4 to IPv6.

> If it really IS simply renumbering, then

Looks like your message got cut off...  Then what?

-Scott