[ppml] 2005-1 status

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Tue Jan 24 11:52:44 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 09:19:45AM -0700, cja at daydream.com wrote:
> We should be distingushing prefixes based on assignment block ranges not by
> length of prefix.  Prefixes size should be decided based on appropriate
> need, not on differentiating PA from PI based on prefix length.

I agree.  Prefix length is an accident of allocation or sub-allocation
policy, which may be very localized.  Specific prefixes will be
identifiable as PA or PI only based on their block...I don't see any
utility in even trying to differentiate prefixes based on length.

I'd much prefer if we focus on making allocations of correct size for
the need, rather than trying to be clever where it isn't necessary or
won't work.

-David