[ppml] PPML Digest, Vol 7, Issue 11

Bill Van Emburg arin-member at quadrix.com
Fri Jan 20 12:50:51 EST 2006

> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:46:31 +0000
> From: Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
>
>>I believe the point is for us to include a zip code that allows such
>>things as geo research to occur but not for the pin point position
>>of where your "relative" lives that is using ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> For this, it should be sufficient for whois entries
> to have the city, state/province and country. For
> example, here are two samples for an individual and
> a company:
>
> Joe Bloe
> Milwaukee, WI, USA
>
> Delta Cooperage Company
> Milwaukee, WI, USA
>
> That allows geo research and it keeps the home
> address of Joe Bloe private. Anybody who really
> needs the address of the Delta Cooperage Company
> can go to the ARIN member who allocated addresses
> to them. Of course this assumes that ARIN members
> are required to maintain up to date contact information
> in the whois directory.

..except that all the current geo software uses zip codes, at least in
the U.S.  I am not aware of how this software works with Canada, nor
whether partial postal codes would work with such software at all (and
therefore negate any benefit for geo research purposes in Canada).

I would strongly support a policy providing for the use of 5 digit zip
codes in the U.S., and partial postal codes in Canada.  Anybody from
some of ARIN's other countries care to comment on how it works elsewhere
in the region?

-Bill Van Emburg
Quadrix Solutions, Inc.