[ppml] 2003-3

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Fri Jan 20 04:46:31 EST 2006

> I believe the point is for us to include a zip code that allows such
> things as geo research to occur but not for the pin point position
> of where your "relative" lives that is using ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
(IPv4)

For this, it should be sufficient for whois entries
to have the city, state/province and country. For
example, here are two samples for an individual and
a company:

Joe Bloe
Milwaukee, WI, USA

Delta Cooperage Company
Milwaukee, WI, USA

That allows geo research and it keeps the home
address of Joe Bloe private. Anybody who really
needs the address of the Delta Cooperage Company
can go to the ARIN member who allocated addresses
to them. Of course this assumes that ARIN members
are required to maintain up to date contact information
in the whois directory.

I realize that some people advocate a big brother
style of oversight for ARIN, but I am opposed to
this. It is not appropriate for non-governmental
organizations such as ARIN to get into the big brother
business.

--Michael Dillon

The purpose of Newspeak was not only to provide a medium
of expression for the world-view and mental habits proper
to the devotees of Ingsoc, but to make all other modes of
thought impossible. -- George Orwell - 1984