[ppml] ARIN's Interpretation of 2003-3

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Jan 18 10:02:47 EST 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Jon Lewis wrote:

>         4.2.3.7.6. Residential Customer Privacy
>
>         To maintain the privacy of their residential customers, an
> organization with downstream residential customers may substitute that
> organization's name for the customer's name, e.g. 'Private Customer - XYZ
>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Network', and the customer's street address may read 'Private Residence'.
> Each private downstream residential reassignment must have accurate
> upstream Abuse and Technical POCs visible on the WHOIS record for that
> block.
>
> To me, this implies that each anonymized residential customer swip
> should actually cover a single customer.  I have good reason to believe
> that at least one ARIN member is swipping IP blocks as "Private  Customer"
> and then subnetting those IP blocks, assigning the IPs to multiple
> customers.

Yes, that would be SBC. I've reported this in commenary on public meeting
(send as remote participant for open-mic if I remember). If I understand
the response was that such practice would be discontinued, although I've
not seen any changes to existing swips and have seen some new ones still
being added (but I've not looked at this matter in the last few months).