[ppml] ARIN's Interpretation of 2003-3

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jan 18 09:55:55 EST 2006

         4.2.3.7.6. Residential Customer Privacy

         To maintain the privacy of their residential customers, an
organization with downstream residential customers may substitute that
organization's name for the customer's name, e.g. 'Private Customer - XYZ
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Network', and the customer's street address may read 'Private Residence'.
Each private downstream residential reassignment must have accurate
upstream Abuse and Technical POCs visible on the WHOIS record for that
block.

To me, this implies that each anonymized residential customer swip
should actually cover a single customer.  I have good reason to believe
that at least one ARIN member is swipping IP blocks as "Private  Customer"
and then subnetting those IP blocks, assigning the IPs to multiple
customers.  That would seem to be a violation of 4.2.3.7.6.  If it is,
does anyone care?