[ppml] 2006-1 Residential Customer Privacy Update

Azinger, Marla marla.azinger at frontiercorp.com
Tue Aug 22 12:42:48 EDT 2006

This is an update on the status of 2006-1 and also a "nudge" to try and start discussion again.

1.  This proposal was voted on by the community and requests for changes to the proposal were made.

2.  The ARIN Advisory Council voted on this proposal and took the community input into consideration.  Thus the proposal was voted to move forward given the author would work on revising the proposal with the community input.

3.  The author of this proposal has now chosen not to take the community input and will not be revising the proposal.  Instead the author will be proposing this proposal again unchanged.

4.  We the Advisory Council understand that we are asking you to restate the same comments that you already had in the past.  We value your time and input and ask that you please once again, state your constructive suggestions.

Now, lets get the ball rolling again.  Here are three of the previouse suggestions.  Please add, adjust and reply to them.  Thank you

Suggested Solutions:

1.  For residential only allow PO box info or the upstream address.  Regardless of the size.

Contigency plan should this policy result in Abuse issues:  If a pattern shows that the internet community is having issues with a certain subnet size and abuse with residential customers...then in the future a vote to modify the proposal and add subnet size that requires exact address will be executed.

2. For Residential only a non specific zip code will be utilized.

Contingency plan should this policy result in privacy problems:  If a pattern shows that the internet community is having privacy issues then in the future a vote to insert address info of the internet provider in lue of the residential user will be executed.

On Topic Opinions:

1. I believe the current Residential Policy is satisfactory and should be left unchanged.  If someone has security risks then the information in ARIN WHOIS is the least of their problem as to where sensitive information can be easily accessed on the internet.

2.  I believe everyone should be allowed to privacy.  But does it have to include everyone?  Or just those that have a proven security issue?

3.  Everyone should be allowed to have privacy.

4.  Everyone should have to show what IP addresses they are using and who they are.