[ppml] 2006-1 Residential Customer Privacy Update

Martin Hannigan hannigan at renesys.com
Tue Aug 29 12:42:07 EDT 2006

At 12:42 PM 8/22/2006, Azinger, Marla wrote:
>This is an update on the status of 2006-1 and also a "nudge" to try
>and start discussion again.

Thanks.

>On Topic Opinions:
>
>1. I believe the current Residential Policy is satisfactory and
>should be left unchanged.  If someone has security risks then the
>information in ARIN WHOIS is the least of their problem as to where
>sensitive information can be easily accessed on the internet.

Yes, I'll go with this position. The ori.author demonstrated that the
security risks are almost
incalculable and if you ran the remaining problem through a
probability model using
whois as one of the hundreds of publicly available data sources that
identify people and their
history available today, whois whould never be chosen as the source.
The expectation of
homing down a whois manhunt to three people in any given truncated
zip code is, well, "funny"
statistically.

I'd like to thank the AC for asking me my opinion during the process
and we remain open
to any reasonable and factually based compromise position.

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
                                                hannigan at renesys.com