[ppml] Policy Proposal 2006-1: Residential Customer Privacy

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Aug 23 04:45:16 EDT 2006

> This is an update on the status of 2006-1 and also a "nudge" to try
> and start discussion again.
> Suggested Solutions:

3. Remove all address and contact information from published
   whois directory data that was NOT received directly from
   the party in question. In other words, only publish whois
   directory address and contact info for those organizations
   which have a direct relationship with ARIN. At a minimum,
   all recipients of allocations (or any ARIN assignments)
   would be required to publish address and contact info
   regardless of whether they originally got their allocation
   from SRI-NIC, InterNIC or IANA. But anyone who gets an
   assignment from their ISP has the **OPTION** of directly
   contacting ARIN and asking for their contact info to be
   published. This creates a direct relationship with ARIN
   that can be used to ensure that the information is
   correct.

   Basically, an entry is correct when it will reach a person
   who is ready, willing and able to communicate regarding
   network operations and interconnect issues and who is
   able to act on that communication. Any other organizations
   may elect to be listed in the whois. Any other data is
   useless rubbish which should not be published in a directory,
   WHOIS or otherwise.

> 3.  Everyone should be allowed to have privacy.

Yes, everyone should be allowed to have privacy whether they
are a residential customer or not.

There is no good reason for publishing the bulk of the info
in the whois directory. It is a holdover from the days of
the ARPANET when every ARPANET user had to be identified
for budgetary purposes. We are no longer running the ARPANET
and there is no longer the budgetary mandate that requires
us to collect and publish this info. The only reason we
do this is tradition, like the cargo cults in the Pacific
Islands that worship airplane models made of rattan and
bamboo because they don't understand that World War II is
over and the planes with free food and trinkets won't be
coming back.

--Michael Dillon