[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Apr 26 04:56:46 EDT 2006

> What I see frustrating here is that everyone agrees we need some
> sort of "internet community agreement" that addresses V6 routing.  I
> hear alot of people asking for this, including myself.  Yet I dont
> hear any specific forum stepping forward to help facilitate this need.

Forums don't step forward, people do. Are you a person?

As I said a few days ago:

  On the other hand, ARIN policy cannot restrict what two peers do
  between themselves. At this point in time, the global routing
  table is merely a convenient phrase used in routing discussions.
  There really is no such thing. Nobody manages the global routing
  table. There are no explicit agreements on what can or cannot
  be announced into the global routing table. And so on. If that
  were to change then your issues would be perfectly within scope.
  However, this would require the ARIN Board of Trustees to agree
  to undertake this activity. Interestingly enough, this does seem
  to be within ARIN's scope if you read items 2, 3, 4 and 6 of
  the purposes in the ARIN Articles of Incorporation.

  Assuming that there was to be an RIR function which produced
  guidelines for management of the global routing table, how
  would it operate and how would it ensure industry-wide consensus
  on those rules?

I'm waiting to hear your answer for that last question.

> I ask myself "why does it appear that all known forums" are
> unwilling to touch this issue?  I keep hearing "its not our
> charter".  When I hear this "reason" I wonder again, do these
> charters exist as a hard bound document and if so, maybe it should
> be re-written.

When I heard that statement, I didn't wonder. Instead I looked
up ARIN's charter, read it, and discovered that facilitating
the development of global routing policy is squarely within
ARIN's scope.

> I also keep hearing "work the issue out between you and the other
> providers".  I agree, great idea, but we need a forum of
> facilitation to do this.

Here it is. This mailing list is a public forum. Instead of
complaining, let's hear some substantive proposals. Remember,
job one is how to get ISPs involved and how to develop consensus.
Does it have to be done globally or is it feasible to have 5
different continental routing policies?

> So what then?  Do we create yet another Task Force?  Or just keep
> pointing our fingers in a circle from Forum to Forum?

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

--Michael Dillon