[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Sat Apr 15 09:23:49 EDT 2006

On 04/14/06 at 11:41pm -0700, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> > as we also discussed at the ARIN XVII meeting, it would be useful for
> > some group to define guidelines for assignment policy that would clarify
> > the issues you raise.  it seems that in ARIN policy is not the correct
> > place yet no other group comes to mind.  anyway, as a rough suggestion, I
> > would say that end sites should get 4 to 8 times as much address space
> > assigned as they think they might use using today's networking techniques.
> >
> Perhaps we need a BCP track within ARIN for number resource utilization.
> A process similar to, but, potentially a bit less formal than, the IRPEP
> which would be used to develop "Recommended Practices for Number Resource
> Allocation, Assignment, and Utilization".

I like this idea.

> I agree this doesn't belong in policy, but, I do think that ARIN might be
> the right body to coalesce such information, at least on a regional basis.

Perhaps we could use the existing policy process (or something similar and
parallel) to develop recommendations, though.  Have folks submit
"Recommendation Proposals", which could be run through the PPML and
presented at ARIN meetings.  Perhaps a lower standard of consensus would
be required for adoption...

-Scott