[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-8: Proposal to amend ARIN IPv6 assignment and utilisation requirement - Last Call

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Apr 15 02:41:06 EDT 2006

> as we also discussed at the ARIN XVII meeting, it would be useful for
> some group to define guidelines for assignment policy that would clarify
> the issues you raise.  it seems that in ARIN policy is not the correct
> place yet no other group comes to mind.  anyway, as a rough suggestion, I
> would say that end sites should get 4 to 8 times as much address space
> assigned as they think they might use using today's networking techniques.

Perhaps we need a BCP track within ARIN for number resource utilization.
A process similar to, but, potentially a bit less formal than, the IRPEP
which would be used to develop "Recommended Practices for Number Resource
Allocation, Assignment, and Utilization".

I agree this doesn't belong in policy, but, I do think that ARIN might be
the right body to coalesce such information, at least on a regional basis.
Eventually, perhaps parallel capabilities would develop in the other
RIRs supporting an IANA based point to coalesce them on a global basis
where appropriate.

Owen