[ppml] "Recommended Practices" procedure

Jason Schiller (schiller@uu.net) jason.schiller at mci.com
Mon Apr 24 17:46:28 EDT 2006

I too was frustrated by the comments that "ARIN does not set routing
policy".

It can be very difficult to advise your company to do the right thing for
the good of the Internet when it is counter to good business
practices.  It is a little bit easier if one can hold up a "good IP
stewardship policy" that most people are following.

So should we re-charter ARIN to publish a non-binding "Routing Policy
Guideline Manual (RPGM)"  or should we just fold this into the NRPM?

The other question is if this is the right forum?  and if not, then what
is the right forum?  NANOG?  only joint ARIN/NANOG meetings?

Also, how does this relate to other regions?  I am told that RIPE
discusses routing policy.  Should there be an NRO equilivent role with
regard to global routing policy?

___Jason

Jason Schiller                                               (703)886.6648
Senior Internet Network Engineer                         fax:(703)886.0512
Public IP Global Network Engineering                       schiller at uu.net
UUNET / Verizon                         jason.schiller at verizonbusiness.com

The good news about having an email address that is twice as long is that
it increases traffic on the Internet.