[ppml] does 2005-8 need clarification?

Lea Roberts lea.roberts at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 6 16:36:40 EDT 2006

hi Bill -

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Bill Van Emburg wrote:

> I do not support 2005-8, regardless of whether Scott's interpretation or
> Lee's interpretation is correct.  I don't think we need to switch to /56
> as default at this time, and I don't think IPv6 end users should be
> restricted to getting their IPs from an LIR.

as Scott said, 2005-8 is aimed at assignments from ISP/LIRs.  It is not at
all related to the issues about PI assignments to end users.  while the
original version of 2005-8 recommended /56 allocations to small users,
the current version of 2005-8 was modified in response to comments at the
last ARIN meeting that we should not re-establish classful networks in
IPv6.  It says that assignment size becomes the choice of the provider and
removes /48 as the only assignment choice for multiple subnet addressing.
the /56 mention in the current version only refers to what would be used
to measure the HD ratio,  i.e. counting /56s rather than /48s.  I'm sorry
to hear you don't agree that ISPs ought to be the ones to choose what size
address block they assign to a customer who has more than one subnet.  are
you saying the /48 fits all??					/Lea