[ppml] PPML Digest, Vol 10, Issue 10

Bill Van Emburg arin-member at quadrix.com
Thu Apr 6 16:05:07 EDT 2006

I am in favor of 2005-1.  I think that this is the best policy, and the
simplest that will work.

I think 2006-4 is a little bit more restrictive in terms of receiving an
initial allocation, and I think that is not a great idea.  However, it's
better than the current "use 200 networks" requirement (or whatever that
number is...).

I do not support 2005-8, regardless of whether Scott's interpretation or
Lee's interpretation is correct.  I don't think we need to switch to /56
as default at this time, and I don't think IPv6 end users should be
restricted to getting their IPs from an LIR.

Most importantly, I think we need to make it very explicit that there is
no "permanent" IPv6 assignment.  ARIN *must* retain the right to reclaim
IPv6 addresses at a later date, if the user can not justify it under the
then-current policy.  I also think that allocations should be required
to be returned to ARIN or re-justified when another organization takes
over the IP space.  IPs are not an asset to be bought and sold
privately; they are a public trust.

-Bill Van Emburg
Quadrix Solutions, Inc.