[ppml] IPv6>>32

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri May 13 13:51:25 EDT 2005

======
>    But eventually, confidence in v6 renumbering is high and
>    the network operator renumbers one of its /28 blocks into
>    a new /27.
======

The complete and total lack of any evidence to support this assertion
in any way whatsoever and the overwhelming historical evidence to the
contrary are what make your entire proposed scenario a really bad
idea.

It is hard for me to imagine a scenario where an LIR could justify a
/28, let alone a /12 (remember, a /28 is 16 times as many /64 subnets as
there are addresses in the IPv4), but, I think that forced fragmentation
is an absolutely bad idea.  If we're going to spend lots of addresses
optimizing anything in v6, it should be looking for ways to minimize
the amount of prefix fragmentation which occurs.

If we're going to put an artificial upper limit on instantaneous
allocations,
we should at least allow ARIN to reserve the full justified space for
some time, and, second and subsequent rounds should be done in such a
way as to preserve contiguity and minimize fragmentation as much as
possible.

At least as long as we are stuck with an IDR protocol which requires
absolute global knowledge in the DFZ.

Owen