[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Micro-allocations for anycast services

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Fri Aug 12 11:29:40 EDT 2005

First things first: I've sent a couple of replies that didn't show up
on the list.  That's due to being a bonehead and not sending them from
the address I used to subscribe.  Other than this issue, I believe the
other questions have been adequately answered.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 05:32:11PM +0000, Andrew Dul wrote:
> I think the requirements to obtain an address block under the proposed
> text of the policy are not rigid enough.  I'm not sure yet how we could
> rework this to make it more rigid.

In writing this policy, I struggled for some time with how tight the
requirements should be.  I'm open to suggestions, although I'm mostly
happy with the current set.  Making the requirements much stricter will
impose significant restrictions on the ability of legitimate requestors
to receive space.  On the other hand, I don't want every small office
in ARIN's jurisdiction claiming to have an anycast DNS server.

Balance is the key, and finding the right balance has thus far been
hard.  I suspect that relatively few companies have a real need for
an anycast service.  (I happen to work for one.)  Most of those will
have a handful, at most, of such services.  Allowing them to get a
microallocation is clearly the right thing to do, versus wasting a
much larger block to announce a couple of addresses.