[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Micro-allocations for anycast services

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Fri Aug 12 11:40:43 EDT 2005

On Aug 12, 2005, at 8:29 AM, David Williamson wrote:

> Making the requirements much stricter will
> impose significant restrictions on the ability of legitimate
> requestors
> to receive space.  On the other hand, I don't want every small office
> in ARIN's jurisdiction claiming to have an anycast DNS server.

But it's so trendy! :-)  This is my concern.  The concerns are
similar, although in my mind more real, as they were for the /22's
for multihoming policy. I don't know if that's been "abused" at all.
If it hasn't then there isn't much reason to believe this will be.
The only problem is that there is no real recourse against someone
just turning it into their own /24 to use for non-anycast purposes as
I understand ARIN policies.

> I suspect that relatively few companies have a real need for
> an anycast service.  (I happen to work for one.)

As do I -- and that's the problem.  I worry about all of ARIN
membership all of the sudden realizing that they too have a "real
need" for anycast services.  I think people have this impression that
anycast == higher uptime.  If anything that is probably not the case
as it can easily be executed/deployed improperly and/or poorly.

Thanks,
David Ulevitch