[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv4 Micro-allocations for anycast services

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Thu Aug 11 13:32:11 EDT 2005

While, I believe that there may be a need for this policy, I'd like to understand the "new services" that are envisioned to thrive under this service.  I certainly don't want ARIN to be in the position of inhibiting the growth of real services.

I think the requirements to obtain an address block under the proposed text of the policy are not rigid enough.  I'm not sure yet how we could rework this to make it more rigid.

>  4.4.2 Micro-allocations for anycast services - ARIN will make
>  micro-allocations to organizations wishing to deploy anycast based
>  services, provided they meet the following criteria:
>
>       * All of the criteria normally required to receive IPv4 space, AND

Hi, I have two offices, we have 68 IP devices in one office and 73 IP devices in the other office.

>       * The organization must have multiple (at least two) discrete
>  multi-homed networks.

The offices are in two different buildings, have a T1 between them, and a T1 to the internet from both locations...we currently are allocated a /24 from our ISP.

>       * The organization must identify which networks, ASNs, or sites
>  will host the new service.

Office A located at 123 my street, my town,
Office B located at 234 your street, their town,

Both are announced from bgp via ASXXXXX

>       * The organization must provide a description of the anycast service.

We have anycast DNS servers already deployed in both locations.

May I please have a /24.

Thank you...

That seems too easy to me...

Andrew