[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-2: Directory Services Overhaul

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Mon Apr 18 10:04:04 EDT 2005

>   Actualy I think there are ligitamate reasons that a POC may not be
> responsive for as many as 3 months. The policy proposal is unclear if
this
> must be consecutive months or not, but this too is somewhat irrelevant.
> Consider a small special purpose school that may not operate for the
whole
> summer.

There's another good reason why it is bad policy to publish
contact info for every organization receiving an address
block. That may have been a good idea in 1990 when every
organization receiving addresses was an active network
operator. But in today's world, where most organizations
receiving addresses are little more than consumers, this
is a BAD policy. ARIN should never publish any contact
information for an organization which does not explicitly
agree with ARIN that its contact information should be published.

In your example above, the ISP providing service to this
school would be a far more appropriate contact point
than the school itself. But archaic blanket policies
do not allow for cases like this.

--Michael Dillon