[ppml] comments on 2004-8

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Fri Apr 15 14:39:30 EDT 2005

At 17:33 +0100 4/15/05, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
>>  4. Announcement of IANA Allocations
>>  The IANA, the NRO, and the RIRs will make announcements and update their
>
>>  respective web sites regarding an allocation made by the IANA to an RIR.
>>  ICANN
>>  and the NRO will establish administrative procedures to manage this
>process.
>
>If we are going to be making modifications to this one,
>then I think it is time to say that these announcements
>and web accessible documents should be in a machine-parseable
>format. Something like RSS could be used or even just a plain
>XML page. The current IANA list of address ranges is not
>machine parseable and is not consistent from range to range.
>There is no good reason why the list of ranges produced by
>IANA should be broken (or aggregated) on class A boundaries.
>If they have this info in a database, then it should be
>trivial to report it as an XML file.

As far as policy is concerned, I don't think that the details of the
formatting, etc., are that important.  I'd say that it is covered in
the "will establish administrative procedures" phrase.  (My comments
are related to the flow of the announcements, not the contents of the
announcements.)

IANA's choice of data format isn't an ARIN problem, so I wouldn't
attach that to this proposal in this arena.