[ppml] Draft ARIN Recomendation

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Fri Oct 22 11:57:25 EDT 2004

> > Presumably you are talking about a process for collecting
> > comments and forwarding them on to IETF et al. This is
>
> I would phrase it slightly different.
>
> We need a process for ARIN to speak.

I don't believe that the IETF or IESG is interested
in hearing what ARIN has to say.

I think they want to hear what the members of ARIN
have to say and they see ARIN as a vehicle to reach
those members.

If we set up a way for ARIN to speak, then this
speech will cease to be engineering review and
become political posturing. In that case we might
as well just have ARIN staff take care of the
whole business.

But I think the IETF and IESG will still want to
get serious detailed technical comments from the
companies who just happen to be members of
ARIN. What is important here is not the fact that
these organizations are ARIN members. The important
thing is that these organizations operate the large
IP networks that make up the global Internet
infrastructure and therefore have operational knowledge
that is valuable to the IETF and IESG.

--Michael Dillon