[ppml] Draft ARIN Recomendation on draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-centra l-00.txt, take 2

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Nov 9 18:04:48 EST 2004

In a message written on Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 02:38:27PM -0800, Azinger, Marla wrote:
> 1.  When you look at paying 18K a year for a large block of V4 space....it
> seems like alot of money to some.
> However, when you look at the total cost of running an internet
> network...18K seems very miniscule.
> Unless I'm missing some other major fee's here....would this really be
> enough of a cost saver to push ISP's in the direction of using V6 over V4?

No.  I don't think cost savings will push anyone from V4 to V6.  That's
not the interesting case.  The interesting case is the company who has
already decided to go IPv6 for other business drivers.  They will no
doubt look at the cost of migration and try to minimize it.  "Free IP
Addresses" vrs "Pay Money For IP Addresses" will be seen as a savings.

There is another group that Woody might want to chime in about.  He
talked at the last meeting about the "value of the swamp" and getting
early adopters into the system and soforth.  Well, if there is this
globally unique address space the early adopters can get for free and
play, they probably will.  They will probably also route it between
themselves, to the extent possible.  If they are successful they may
bring that legacy into larger networks as IPv6 grows.

> You wrote: "From a business case point of view getting out from under the
> oppressive thumb of the registries who want to milk us each year
> for thousands of dollars just to publish a whois record is a very
> attractive proposition."

This was my feeble attempt at Internet Humor. :)  That said, I know a
few VP's who think this way. :(

[I for one welcome our ARIN overlords.]