[ppml] Draft ARIN Recomendation on draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-centra l-00.txt, take 2

Azinger, Marla marla_azinger at eli.net
Tue Nov 9 17:38:27 EST 2004

You wrote:"I have yet to see a reason
to recomend to my employer to filter this block, and in fact see
several reasons to encourage the early, widespread use of this block
as it gets us and our customers out of paying fees.  Saving money
is something my management understands well, and I suspect there
are many other ISP's who would cooperate in order to save money as
well."

1.  When you look at paying 18K a year for a large block of V4 space....it
seems like alot of money to some.
However, when you look at the total cost of running an internet
network...18K seems very miniscule.
Unless I'm missing some other major fee's here....would this really be
enough of a cost saver to push ISP's in the direction of using V6 over V4?
Especially if you are a company who's network still has old Cisco equipment
that doesnt handle V6.  Those companies will first have to spend alot of
money to update/replace that equipment.  That takes time and money.
So I guess I question the relevency of no fee structure being an encouraging
factor to push companies to use V6 over V4.

You wrote: "From a business case point of view getting out from under the
oppressive thumb of the registries who want to milk us each year
for thousands of dollars just to publish a whois record is a very
attractive proposition."

2.  I believe that the fee's we all pay go towards much more than just the
publishing of the WHOIS records.  Otherwise...I myself who am a RWHOIS user
would be looking for a discount.  However, I believe the money goes towards
a wide variety of administrative duties that involves distribution of the IP
addresses and collaberation efforts for the internet community.  I dont see
all these duties dissapearing even for V6.  So this leads to the support of
some fee structure being put in place for V6.

Marla Azinger
Electric Lightwave

draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-centra l-00.txt, take 2

In a message written on Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 03:34:41PM -0500, adb at onramp.ca
wrote:
> The big question is how the backbone players will react, and I'll hazard
> a guess that all FC00::/8 prefixes will be filtered, so you won't get far
> with your globally-unique-but-not-globally-routable prefix.

Taking off my AC hat, and putting on my "work in the engineering
group of a large backbone provider hat", I have yet to see a reason