[ppml] Fw: Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

Daniel Golding dgolding at burtongroup.com
Tue Jun 29 20:16:36 EDT 2004

On 6/29/04 6:59 PM, "Randy Bush" <randy at psg.com> wrote:

>> ARIN's appropriate action is to file an Amicus Curae (Friend of the Court)
>> Brief with the appropriate court. This should be informational in nature -
>> the judge probably has no idea what the common industry practices are on
>> this area.
>
> it might be amusing, in a disgusting kind of way, to poll the
> industry to see what the folk in it think common practices are.
> i suspect that there is less agreement than we might like.  and
> probably few remember or have read the archives on the subject.
>
> just to kick the silliness off, my fading memory is of generall
> consensus once upon a time that giving a departing customer a
> minumum of three to a maximum of six months to renumber was
> appropriate.
>
> randy

Heh. Yes, that's how I remember it as well. I meant more along the lines of
differences between portable vs non-portable space, ARIN's position on
ownership of IP addresses, possible hazards of chaos in IP addressing, blah
blah

Of course, this is a contractual dispute between the two parties and will be
resolved as such.

--
Dan